Thursday, September 19, 2013

Twice in one week, people!

Today was NUTS!
Half way through our morning the sky opened up and we had a HUGE storm.  Green sky, hail, etc.  My kids handled it well (no tears!) but it was tough to stay focused.  I guess we were lucky though because at the high school a kid pulled the fire alarm and they had to evacuate the school...IN THE STORM!  CrAzY!!

Anyway, here are a few good things from this week...
 We are getting into our calendar routine.  I purchased a class set of dry erase sleeves from Oriental Trading.  Each day after going through our calendar, kids grab their page, a dry erase marker and a felt eraser.  I got this handy dandy Help-Yourself Supply Center from Lakeshore.  Can you see the felt erasers and markers inside?  I love it!

During the month of September we do Exploration Stations.  Each day partners get something in their bins to explore.  I believe this cuts down on the playing later on in the year.  Plus, they get really good at working together and learning how to look at our station chart (the blue chart above).  The number in front of their picture tells them what basket to go to.  The girls above are working with geobands.

They are doing some great things with the sorting treasures!  I keep them all in a toolbox from Lowes.  The kids can grab a drawer and go to work!

We also celebrated our first Zero The Hero Day!
One of my very first purchases from TPT was Growing Kinders Counting by 10s with Zero the Hero!  I love it!  I can't remember where I got the puppet but it came with his girlfriend Zerona.  She, of course, apprears on the 100th day.

We also decorated the letter N for our Alphabet Letter Exchange.  I signed up this summer to participate in an Alphabet Letter Exchange through First Grade Found Me.
 We were assigned the letter N.  Our class decided to decorate them with numbers.
We'll mail them out to the other 25 classrooms and wait patiently for the other letters to come in.  It will be fun to look at the map to see where the letters will come from.  So exciting!

 Last, I have to share a picture of the newest addition to my classroom.  My good friend PAINTED these for me!
Aren't they amazing!  I ♥ MO WILLEMS!!
Thanks BFF!


11 comments:

  1. Which group are you in for the alphabet exchange? 1 or 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in group 2 too! We are doing the letter a. Ants in the grass. Can't wait to get the letter n.
    Laura (from Alabama)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! You have been busy! I am happy to hear that the storm passed.

    Marcy
    SearchingForTeacherBalance

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my blinds shut. I didn't realize how bad it was until the kids had to stay in for indoor recess. I would have been freaking out myself if I would have known how bad it was. Can not believe the high schoolers did that yikes!!! I love the new pics.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! It was pretty freaky!

      Delete
  5. I had my blinds shut. I didn't realize how bad it was until the kids had to stay in for indoor recess. I would have been freaking out myself if I would have known how bad it was. Can not believe the high schoolers did that yikes!!! I love the new pics.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just finished our Cc's. I'm in group#6. Your Nns with numerals look great! So sweet of your friend to make you those paintings. What are chicken rings?

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got the chicken rings from our old, old, old math series (math their way). I guess they go around a chicken's leg so the farmers can sort them or keep track of them. I'm excited to see how all these alphabets turn out!

      Delete
  7. Hi Sara...That is such great news to hear you are coming to the WKA Conference. I think it will be worth the drive! Are you coming alone? Are you coming the night before? We will be staying right at the hotel. Let me know if you have any questions! Amber ~ Kindergarten Rocks Blog

    ReplyDelete