Monday, August 12, 2013

Teacher Week: Meet the Teacher

I was talking to several friends the other day and they admitted they didn't know what it meant when bloggers said they were joining a linky.  For those of you who are in the same boat, a linky is when LOTS of bloggers talk about the same thing and then link back to the original blogger.  If you go to that blogger's page, you will see that list and you can jump from blogger to blogger to read about the same topic.  Sometimes you can learn a lot about a hot topic.  Sometimes it is just for fun...like today!

This is a big week in Bloggy Land:  Teacher Week! 



Today's topic is Meet the Teacher!

 1.  I'm about to start my 14th year of teaching kindergarten!  I got my dream job of teaching K right out of college and wouldn't change a thing.

2.  I LOVE to teach!  Besides teaching kinders, I've started to go way outside of my box and instruct adults.  This year facilitated a couple of district book studies (Daily Five & The Next Step in Guided Reading) and also taught at a local resource center on Daily Five and Math Work Stations.

3.  My district is pretty small but we have big schools.  There are just two elementary schools is my district but my school has 7 teachers in kdgt and the other has 6.  I generally have 22 kids in my class.  I've taught half day kindergarten, every other day kindergarten and all day kindergarten.  Our state FINALLY passed all day kindergarten for the 2014 school year which is so exciting!

 4.  I went to college at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse with a major in Elementary Education and a minor in Early Childhood.  I loved my time there!  This past weekend my husband and I met some college friends there for some reminiscing and good times.  It was fun to walk through campus and see all the changes. 
This is from Grandad's Bluff.


5.  I got my Masters through Walden University which is an online school.  
My program was Elementary Literacy and Instruction.  
 
6.  I live with these cuties...
Sophie is 6 and going into 1st grade.  Lily is 4 and is going to be in her second year of preschool.

7.  I've been married for almost eleven years to Jason.  We met at college in Wisconsin but we were both from the Twin Cities.  We were friends for a long time and ended up dating our senior year.
 This is us in Vegas where we were celebrating 10 years!

8.  I am a morning person.  I love getting tons done in the morning and then relaxing at night.  My two girls are early risers as well, which works out great.

9.  I ♥ to dance!  I was in dance all through school and did a tap dance senior solo.  I still have the dance bug and can bust out some pretty good moves if the music is right.  I dance daily with my kinders and my own kids.  My husband, however, does not dance.  At all.  
~Sigh~

10.  I am having a 400 follower giveaway AND a BOGO sale right now!


 They both end in less than two days so enter now by clicking on the button!
 
 Come back tomorrow for the next topic!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sara,

    I recently stumbled across your blog and I just *love* it!
    I can't believe you have been teaching the same grade for 14 years...you lucky duck! Although it's no wonder because you are obviously *amazing* at what you do!
    {I'm starting my second year in first grade and I pray every day that I never.get.moved. Honestly, it's just the idea of having to move my entire classroom contents that scares the bejeebies outta me! HA!}

    Anywho, I enjoyed reading your post and getting to know you a little better. Thanks for sharing :)

    Sam
    Fun With Firsties

    P.S. your little girls are TOO stinkin' adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I am very lucky to have taught in the same grade for as long as I have. I've had to move twice but I still can't complain. :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post! I, too, have a six year old headed into first grade and a 4 year old (My own Lili) going into her second year of preschool! It's a trip...and I have a sweet, nutty 2 year old to top it off! I also have been blessed to spend my whole career in kindergarten...I don't think I ever want to move...except maybe, SOMEDAY, I might want to be our building's Title I teacher (we are a pre-K to first building). We'll see. Anyway...I love visiting your blog, and am glad to get to know you a little better!

    Becca
    Kindergarten A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping Becca! It is so nice to connect with people teaching the same grade as I do. How fun that we both have a 6 & a 4-year old named Lily/Lili :)

      Delete
  3. We are going to check out UW-La Crosse on Tuesday!! The college tours begin... Glad to see you are going full day everyday. I taught the full day alternate day when I first started my career. Full day is the way to go, but boy it is exhausting! Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete