Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Legends of Summer and Advice for new teachers

Oh. My. Word!  I have had the most amazing little getaway to Chi-town!  I met a friend there to go see Justin Timberlake and Jay Z for their Legends of Summer concert.

 We were a little worried because our seats were obstructed view but look..

I know it is a bit blurry but we were sooooo close to the stage!  We were even closer than the front row but we were on the side.  No big deal and so much fun!

I also wanted to link up with Latoya from Flying into First Grade.

BUY
 I have always used fabric for my bulletin boards.  It might cost a bit in the beginning but it is so worth the time and effort!  You can also check out the clearance section for some cheap bedsheets.

ALWAYS
It is really important to start positive parent communication early on!  I tend to call after the first week is over with some good things I saw.  This initial call makes it so much easier to call later if I have some not so great news.

NEVER
It is important to stay professional and calm with your students.  If you feel flustered or upset, they will be too.  Often, if it is a bad day, I reflect and usually see that it is my fault because I wasn't totally into the day.  Fake it till you make it.

FIND
My first year I had both a mentor and a good friend.  My mentor helped me with planning which is super important.  I also became friends with another new teacher.  We helped each other out so much plus, it was nice to have a person who understood what I was going through.

MAKE
I worked so hard my first year that I let some things slide that I really loved to do.  Take time for something just for you!

BE
like a Boy Scout and be prepared!  Enough said.

What helped you during your first year?

2 comments:

  1. OK- I am old... but I LOVE Justin Timberlake! Haha! That must have been a blast! :) Thanks for sharing. SO glad your seats were so good. Isn't that the best?! Love your advice, too! ;)
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way fun! Your advice was perfect!

    ReplyDelete