Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Accomplished

I feel extremely accomplished today.  I was determined to get some things done in my classroom.  My plans almost came crashing down when I saw this in front of my hallway.
Curse you wet wax!

I found my janitor and he said if I was careful I could tiptoe across to my room (3rd door on the right).  Crisis averted!

Well, all my furniture was pushed off the carpet and I was told I couldn't put anything back on it.  A few years ago, it got so hot that my carpet grew mold.  Ewww!  They were worried about the heat and the dampness of the carpet again.  We don't have air conditioning and this was the temp today.
Note to self:  Clean car!

Anyway, since I couldn't move furniture, I decided to do some much needed organizing.  I have a ton of cupboards and I haven't really cleaned them out in several years.  The first thing I did was inspired by Pinterest.



Now all of my read alouds are in my otherwise unused file cabinet.  I MIGHT have a slight obsession with Mo Willems' books.  See all the Piggie & Elephant books?

Anyway, I then went through almost all my cupboards and purged.  By the end of the day, I did feel accomplished BUT very, very sweaty.  Gross.  I picked up my girls and hit the shower.  

But that isn't all!  I joined the bandwagon and installed a Fan Freebie page to my Facebook!  

If you go to my page,  and hit the "For Fans Only" button, you will be able to download my newest file for FREE!
     I have always greeted my students at the door with the 5 H's.  They are Hello, Hand bump, High Five, Hug or a Handshake.  I made this last year so my students would have a visual reminder of what they could pick from.

I updated the file a bit and am offering it to you as a Facebook Fan Freebie!  
Let me know if you grab it!
A HUGE thank you to Ashley from The School Supply Addict for her tutorial on Fangate.

Last, I was shopping yesterday with my girls and found these at Michaels!
Score!

But, then, we went next door to Toys R Us and found these!
Crayola smelly markers!  I'm not so sure I'd want the Barnyard scent but the rest seem okay.  I was thinking about giving them away for birthdays this year instead of my usual coma inducing Giant Pixie-Stick on a balloon.  They would also be fun for Word Work.

One last reminder that Thursday is the day!
If you can make it, we'd love to see you! 

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fan freebie, so cute!
    Colleen :-)
    Fun and Fearless in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the Crayola markers tonight. Originally, I wasn't going to buy the Barn Yard or Brick Oven ones, but I took the plunge. I'm planning on using them in my writing center. Curiosity got the best of me and I opened both of them. Barn Yard smells like hay and Brick Oven smells like smoke. Not sure about the Brick Oven one. Haha!

    Cara
    The Teacher's Backpack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being brave! I live beside a dairy farm and hay would definitely smell better than certain other barnyard smells1

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the freebie. I always have my students come up to me and give me either a hug or high five while saying hello in the morning. I like this version with more options. Thanks!! :)

    Amanda
    Mrs. Pauley’s Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to do the same things with my books in the filing cabinet. I am TRYING to map out my year a bit and gather the books I want to use with the file. I have 10 weeks mapped out (for reading whole group) so far! Organizing is so much work! Bummer the floors were waxy too! We are getting that done Monday and can't be in the building for two days! Ahh!!

    Jessica*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the freebie! I know too well how you were feeling today...I was working in my classroom today and it was 108 degrees. We have air conditioning but it is not on for the summer. It eventually became too hot for me to even function and think clearly. However, I am going back tomorrow because I don't like doing everything at the last minute. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the freebie! What an excellent idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! The wet wax! My school has a very strict policy about not being in the building until a certain dste - this year is is August 5. We have security cameras so they will now who violated the rule. I guess a few years back someone left footprints in the new wax and they had to start over :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara, I loved your post. I am going to be able to get into my room next week- and it is that first overwhelming moment where I just sort of spin around and try to think that I know will happen. And by the way, you can NEVER have enough Piggie and Elephant books. They always deliver! ;)
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm a new follower! Thanks for sharing your box top labels and WOW look at all those markers!! I haven't had a chance to make my way to Target or Walmart yet....I am still in denial about school starting! WWAAAAA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had the same scare as you today when I tried to go work on my room. Still didn't get to stay long because of ongoing floor waxing! ugh!
    -Carol
    Mrs. Cobb's Kindersprouts

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love scentos markers!!! I need to go grab me some. Thanks for sharing!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete