Friday, June 28, 2013

Five for Friday-June 28

Friday! 
THEME BOOKS THURSDAY & FUN FRIDAY

I missed posting yesterday about what I do on Thursdays for teaching sight words.  I was so tired after the workshop I was at, I went to bed early.  Time to catch up!  
On Thursdays I again review the SMART board file and review the cheer of the week.  I then pass out an emergent reader that features the new words.
Some of my team members are working on creating new emergent for us to use but I'll share what we've done in the past.  I have used readers from Hubbard's Cupboard, Kindergarten Crayons, and Deanna Jump.  These books give the kids another chance to "butter" the popcorn words with a yellow crayon/highlighter. 

On Fridays I review the SMART file and the cheer of the week once again.  I then pass out the Fun Friday sheet.
I give them a push-pin and send them to the carpet.  I insist they lay on their tummies and prop themselves up on their elbows while they use the push-pin to punch out the dots.  This helps strengthen their core and gives great fine motor practice.  Plus, they are soooo quiet!  A coworker also recommended putting a pencil eraser on the top of the push-pin to give kids a better grip.  I'll have to try it!  The queen of all things "Pokey Pin" is Mrs. Miner's Kindergarten Monkey Business so check out her post to learn more. 

So there you have it!  This schedule has worked really well for me and my kinders.  Last year I only had one student who didn't learn 100% of our 46 words and he was super close!

I spent Wednesday and Thursday at the Minnetonka Institute for Leadership.  Michael Horn (author of Disrupting Class), Ken Kay talked about the 21st Century Skills we need to teach our students (Creativity, Critical Thinking, Collaboration, and Communication) and Dr. Grant Wiggins speak on Understanding by Design.  I saw Dr. Carol Tomlinson speak on differentiation.  Wow!  She could have talked for another couple of hours.  She knows so much.

I love getting packages in the mail and this week I got 3!  First I got this book:
I entered a giveaway from
The Teacher Wife
and won!  I love reading books on social skills to my kinders and this is a great one.  Frank always tells the truth but is TOO honest and ends up insulting people.  I am excited to add this to my collection of books to read at the beginning of the year.  Thank you to Miss Martin!

My send package was an Amazon box full of books I had previously ordered...


I ♥ books!

The last box came today and here is what was inside:
I love Mavalus tape and ordered a few things for Word Work.  The squeegee is for shaving cream art :) 

I won a $25 gift card to MPMSupplies courtesy of

Kindergarten Korner

and picked out these things.  I got my order super fast and ordering was super easy!

Thank you Kindergarten Korner!
I got together with my kindergarten team today and all 11 of our kids.
It is weird going from seeing them every single day to not.  I've missed them and am glad we could catch up.
Vista Print!
I bought a Groupon awhile ago and finally got around to ordering what I want.  I am most excited to get this sign to hang outside my classroom.
I fell in love with the idea after seeing the sign Elizabeth got as a gift for her classroom.

Kickin it in Kindergarten
Mine isn't hand painted but I can't wait to hang it up.




Link up with your Five for Friday!


Don't forget to enter my giveaway that ends Sunday (the same day as Google Reader's last day!).


Tomorrow the winners are announced for Erin's 100 follower giveaway.



This one ends in two days!


3 comments:

  1. I don't have any of the new books that you got! I will have to check them out! I love your sign for outside your classroom. I got one from Vista Print 2 years ago and LOVE it! I think you should go buy a lotto ticket. You're pretty lucky! :)
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new sign! Can't wait to see it when you get it in. I still haven't tried the Pokey Pin thing....makes me nervous! LOL But I know the kiddos will love it!

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your push pin sight words! How do you make those? Or you have them in your tpt shop?

    ReplyDelete