Wednesday, June 12, 2013

BIG STEPS!

Oh. My. Lord.  I am exhausted!  I didn't realize how much teaching today was stressing me out until now.  I'm still taking deep breaths in hopes of calming down.  I can talk in front of a group of students all day long but put me in front of a group of peers and I start going down the dark road of self-doubt and get a bad case tongue tied-ness.  However, it has been my personal and professional goal to GET OVER IT already. 
I've been trying to remind myself of the following:


I figured the best way to get over my fears was to confront them head on.  Baby step number one was facilitating our district book study.  That made me a little nervous but I knew most of the people in the group so it wasn't bad at all.
Today was the BIG STEP!
No one threw tomatoes or booed at all.  I got some good feedback and am excited to try again in August.  That's right.  My classes were so popular that they had to open a second section of both of them in August.

I have to share my freak out today though.  I got to the place early and got busy setting up my computer for my SMART board presentation.  I look at the cords they had and there wasn't a dongle.  I hate that word, but that is what I've heard this thing is called
 It is what hooks my computer to the SMART board.  I tried to use my calmest voice to ask if they had a dongle anywhere.  Nope.  None.  Didn't I bring my own?  
Ummmm...wasn't it enough that I wasn't sweating through my shirt?  I guess not.
I ran to the bathroom and texted my dear friend/coworker Courtney and guess what she did.  She drove her dongle all the way up to the class with her two kids in tow to help me out.  I was almost to the end of my morning class but when she walked in with that stupid little white dongle, I about jumped into her arms.  Hooray for awesome friends and teammates!

Now I am ready to start on the next item on my Summer Bucket List.
Can't wait!!

8 comments:

  1. :)What a sweet thing for your friend to do!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a village! :) wendy 1stgradefireworks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for awesome friends and teammates!

    So jealous you are going to Disneyworld! It's one of my favorite places EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh bless your sweet friend! I am sure you did great! I know you are glad it is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on teaching today! I hate speaking in front of adults, so I totally know how you feel! Also...I just read your summer bucket list (I've been a little behind on my blogging and blog-reading) and I'm gonna send you our district pacing guide for math. It is based on the common core, but I like the pacing a lot so hopefully it'll help you out!

    Danielle
    Carolina Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally feel you stress! I don't do well in front of adults either. Glad your friend was able to bring you the dongle! And you're right...that is a silly word. :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara, wow! Congratulations! And what a nice friend! I get really nervous giving presentations, too. Being blind, I can't see the other teachers' faces to know if they're really getting what I'm saying. So I decided to just be really honest, and be myself, and I tell them just to yell out what they think, preferably good things like "I get that!" or "Great job!". And sometimes they do! :) I guess it gets easier the more we do it.

    Your latest follower,

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I'm hoping when I teach the classes again in August, it will be much easier :) Thanks for stopping by! I returned the favor and now follow your blog, too!

      Delete