Monday, April 15, 2013

Creepy Carrots! and Let's Get Aquainted

I have a new favorite book!  Well, for right now.  I tend to say that a lot in my class. :)  A student's mom introduced me to Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds.
I got it this weekend and was inspired to make my first craftivity pack! 
I read the book to my class this morning and then showed them this video.

I ♥ this video!  It is a great example for beginning writers and illustrators of how to get inspiration.

I had my students brainstorm how they would stop the Creepy Carrots.  They were super pumped and the ideas were flying!   Once they wrote down their ideas, we made our very own Creepy Carrots!

I love how they turned out.  Here are a couple of my favorites.
 I would cut them up and I would give them to my Dad and he would cook them.

I would get on the carrots and smash all the carrots with rocks.  After I smash the rocks I would (umm...not sure what the rest says!)
These look so cute hanging in the hall. 

I also made a CVC game to go with the book because I had to find another reason to use this cute carrot guy I made :)  The game includes all the vowel, plus 5 Creepy Carrot! cards. 
 Here is how to play...Start a 5 minute timer.  Players take turns pulling a card out of a bag/cup.  If they can read the word, they get to keep it.  If not, they put the card back after getting some help decoding the word.  If a player gets a Creepy Carrot! card, they have to return ALL of their cards back to the bag/cup.  After the five minutes is over, the player with the most cards is the Creepy Carrot Champ!

TRUE CREEPY STORY OF THE DAY:
After reading Creepy Carrots and making our own creepy carrots we went to our coat room before lunch.  One of my students found a chocolate candy carrot on the floor!  I wish I had thought to take a picture but we were CREEPED out!  Where did this carrot candy come from?  So creepy!

Check out this pack in my TPT store here.

I'm also linking up with Latoya again!

The topic this week is SKITTLES!
 
Here is the code:
Red- Favorite Ice Cream Flavor
Orange- Favorite Memory from College
Yellow- Favorite Sports Team
Green- Favorite Fast Food Place
Purple- Wild Card(Tell anything about yourself)
 
RED
My absolute favorite ice cream flavor is Cold Stone's All Lovin' No Oven.
I like the whipped cream mixed in!

ORANGE
I loved college!  I had the BEST roommates ever (hola Cihlar!!).  They are still my best friends and know me better than anyone.  I did meet my husband in college, but these ladies are what I really think of when I think of college.  The best memory is the stupid stuff we would do when we were avoiding studying.  Once we put Beanie Babies on the ceiling fan and had bets to see which one would fall off first when we turned it on.  So stupid!  Then, we cut the power and hid so our roommate who wasn't home would get creeped out when she got back.  Too bad she didn't return for about an hour and a half!  Last stupid memory I have to share is how we created a dance to Prince's Song Batdance from the first Batman.  We put hangers on our heads and would jam.  At my wedding, I gave my roomies their own hanger and we performed it during the reception. 

YELLOW
I guess I would say the Minnesota Twins. 
  I'm not a die hard but I have gone to some games. 

GREEN
 I worked there for about six years.  I think I have a fondness for McDonalds because of the memories. 
Our school had a McTeacher night this year and I dug out some of my old "flair." :)

PURPLE (wild card)
35 Days Left of School!!

Link up with Latoya by clicking on her button above.

Are you still reading?  If you are, leave a comment below with how many days you have left and your e-mail.  I'll pick a reader and send them my new Creepy Carrots pack for FREE!

 

10 comments:

  1. I just found you from Flying into First! I am your newest follower! :) I can't believe you only have 35 days of school left! Time is FLYING!!

    ~Kourtney

    kourtneypayton83@gmail.com

    Mrs. Payton's Precious Kindergarteners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely check out that book! Can't wait to read it! What is a McTeacher Night???

    Angela
    angelapr18@gmail.com

    The Bilingual Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McTeacher Night was sooo fun! The teachers took shifts hanging out in the lobby (busing trays, washing tables, etc.). We earned a percentage of the sales for the time we were there. Our school is trying to buy an electronic sign so all the money went to that. It was an easy and fun way to earn some much needed money for our school!

      Delete
  3. I would of been so creeped out by the random chocolate carrot! We have like 42 days left? All I know is we end June 13th! We started school August 22nd too! Ah so long!

    Kimberly Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS super creepy :) You have a LOOONG school year! Yuck!

      Delete
  4. I had to come check out your post with the title creepy carrots! Finding that one is weird!!!

    I worked at McD's for about six years too- brilliant job to have while studying! My now husband thought the free food back then was the BEST!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your craftivity- so creative and I can't believe you found a random chocolate carrot on the floor. I hear the Twilight Zone theme song. . .

    :)
    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun linky! I have loved learning about other bloggers. I would love to have you come by and link up with my latest linky. It’s all about the dollar. Anything you love, make, sell, find, or buy that is a dollar. It is really fun!
    www.ateacherwithoutaclass.com

    I too love that book! I need to put in on my amazon wish list! I am also your latest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh! Your creepy carrots activity is so funny! I love it!!
    Sara
    First Grade Funtastic

    ReplyDelete