Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday!

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs for Five for Friday again.  I love looking back to see what has happened over the past week.

1.  You can't handle the truth!  Or, can you?  Here are the answers to my two truths and a lie. 

          1.  I met Stephano DiMera (Days of our Lives) once at Target. TRUTH!  It was the grand opening of a Target Greatland (remember those...before the days of Super Target?).  He was signing autographs in the WOMEN'S LINGERIE department.  I used to be hooked on Days so my best friend and I went to go see him.

          2.  I used to have a gigantic collection (500+) of Pound Puppies.  LIE.  In middle school/high school though I had a good friend whose sister had about that many.  She had an entire village in her basement for them complete with rows and rows of houses made out of cardboard.  It was amazing!

          3.  I used to have two rows of teeth...like a shark!  TRUTH!  I blame it on my dad.  He didn't lose his last baby tooth until he was 38.  I had a VERY hard time losing teeth.  I only remember losing 2 naturally.  So I had two rows of teeth.  It was very attractive if you are into that kind of thing.  I had to have them pulled.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.  Not fun.
 
Way to go Heather!  She guessed correctly and will be getting my Calendar Bundle tonight.
 
2.  Snow Day!  I made good use of my snow day on Monday but adding some new social media buttons, a Facebook page and a scroll to the top button to my blog.   To learn how yourself, go here.  I loved all the work I got done and spending time with my girls (and the cookies we made!) but enough of the snow now.  I need some warm weather!
 
3.   E-I-E-I-O!  We're talking farms right now in the Polka Dot Room.  We started by playing a farm animal match game during Morning Meeting.  Here are a few pictures.
 Walking around making their animal noise looking for their momma or baby.
Umm...not a match!  Try again!
A sow and her piglet!

Then we read Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown.    Here is the project we did with it.








  If you would like a copy, you can get it for free from my TPT store here.

4.  Mad Science!  We had a fantastic program today from a guy named Mr. Dude.  I love when a presenter really knows how to talk to kids, teach them something cool and is fun.  Here he is making bubbles from dry ice, water and Dawn dish soap. My kids were in the front row and loved seeing the bubbles hit the floor.



5.  Daily Five Engagement.  One of the biggest changes in how I teach this year is that I focus on effort a lot.  After each round of Daily 5, I ask my kids to give me a "fist of five" to show me how much effort they put in that round.  They also talk to a buddy about what specific thing they learned or worked on that round.  I love listening in and hearing about all the good stuff they are learning!  I walked around real quick the other day during Daily 5 to snap a few photos and not one student looked up to see what I was up to.  I love that kind of deep engagement!











That's my five for this week!  If you want to link up with Doodle Bugs, go here.

Good Night!

6 comments:

  1. I love the girl in the basket. That was always me in school. Sounds like a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that adorable barn activity! And I love "The Big Red Barn". Such a classic!!

    Jill
    abcs and polkadots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the illustrations in the book.

      Delete
  3. OMG! Mad Science is coming to our school on Thursday! They came this fall and it wasn't that great, so they are coming back to make up for the show they did this fall! We had them come last year too and it was amazing!

    Hugs!
    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog through the link up, and I LOVE your kiddo in the laundry basket! What a cute idea!! My 4th grade teacher had an old tub filled with pillows and I'll remember it forever! :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    Erin
    Little Miss Primary

    ReplyDelete