Friday, February 1, 2013

Reading Machines!

I LOVE this time of year in kindergarten!  I always see a huge jump during the month of January where kids go from reading one word at a time to reading fluently.  I get chills when my kinders READ their first book!  I want to give my students as many opportunities to read books as I can.

I get through 3 rounds of Daily Five most days (Read to Self, Listen to Reading and Word Work).  After each round, I gather my students on the learning rug and ask those that did Read to Self during the last round if they would like to read to the class.  HUGE DEAL!  My students have become Reading Machines!  They read during free choice, indoor recess (which we have had WAY too much of lately) and of course, during the reading block.  They want to read in front of the class to show off how well they can read.  I only let two kids read after each round because of the time involved.

I have a couple of rules before they can read.
1.  They have to have read the book they want to share at least twice before.
2.  It has to be a leveled book (not an interest book).  The books in their book boxes are one level below their guided reading level so it should be a book that is "just right" for them.

One of my cuties after she read her book.

Another sweet student reading

WOW!
Once the student reads, we all cheer and clap and show off our latest break dancing moves.  Then they get to take home a certificate to hang on the fridge.  If you want this certificate, go here.

In other news, I am officially taking the plunge and becoming a summer instructor!  There is a place in St. Cloud (about 45 minutes northwest of Minneapolis) that has great classes during the summer.  My first two classes will be June 12.  One will be on Daily Five and the other on Math Work Stations (Debbie Diller style).  I want the names of my classes to be cute and exciting.  Any ideas?!?

Lastly, I promised to show some pictures of our big pie in the face event.  As promised...
BEFORE

AFTER



3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the kiddos reading a book to the class after they have been to read to self! We do our what we learned and discovery presentations after each rotation but I would love to add this too! Where in St. Cloud are you doing these classes!? I am from MN! I am your newest follower!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me! The classes will be at Resource Training and Solutions. Where is MN are you at? Please tell me more about your "discovery presentations" after rounds of Daily 5. I do a quick share with a partner on what they did...is that close?

      Delete
  2. So cute! I have my 2nd graders do their workstations during indoor recess...so funny how they think they are having recess yet they are really working. I am always on them about asking if they will have time to "play at stations" today. I always respond, do you mean will we have time to WORK at stations today? I am your newest follower.
    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete